As a freedom and success coach, something that’s vital when it comes to supporting my clients to get to where they want to be, is to encourage and empower them to step out of their comfort zone. Clients come to me because they know I don’t play it safe and that’s how I’ve built successful businesses. They want the guidance and support to stop being afraid, and to move forward with their business. Each one of them knows that to get there, they need to take some risks and not fear failure. They know this because I don’t just advocate for it, I demonstrate it. In this post, I want to answer 5 things:
- WHAT is a comfort zone,
- WHY we have comfort zones,
- WHY do something out of your comfort zone,
- HOW to step out of your comfort zone and
- WAY to break out of your comfort zone as an entrepreneur.
Why we have comfort zones:
Our brain’s natural instinct is to protect us from physical and psychological harm. Our comfort zone is just something that supports that – it doesn’t push in the way of anything that could be risky. But the reality is, we have defined our own comfort zones. They’re not real – they’re an imaginary box we’ve put ourselves in. Anything outside of that, we convince ourselves will cause us harm in one or both of those ways. So we stay put but don’t grow.
What is a comfort zone?
Your comfort zone is a safe space. Something or somewhere that minimises fear or risk, and doesn’t challenge you to do/say something new. It can be somewhere you retreat to after what you deem to be a failure or a place you never leave because it feels comfortable to you. Everyone’s comfort zone is different, but staying in it doesn’t allow anyone to reap the rewards and get from where they are now to where they want to be (their idea of success).
Why do something out of your comfort zone?
Stepping out of your comfort zone has so many benefits: from improving your mental and physical health to financial and relationship advantages. Every real or imagined risk of stepping out of your comfort zone can and should be turned into a positive – failure isn’t something to be feared. The phrase, “what’s the worst that can happen?” is really important here and shouldn’t be something that’s overlooked. If you ask yourself that question and journal around it, you’ll realise that it’s not ever as bad as it initially seems. Taking that step regularly is what will make the biggest difference to your business and your life.
How to step out of your comfort zone:
As an entrepreneur, you MUST challenge yourself in order to grow. Whether it’s trying something you’ve never done before or something that’s never even been done in your industry, every small step out of your comfort zone will help you to move forward. Doing so will look very different for each person…
- Start by defining what success means to you – what does it look and feel like?
- Really visualize this… create a moodboard if it helps!
- Next, write down how you can (and will) get there – action steps and goals.
- Follow this with all of the obstacles you think you’ll face and fears you have about them.
- Turn each obstacle into a smaller action step that will help you to overcome/prevent this and every fear into a positive affirmation instead – put these where you’ll see them often, along with your moodboard to help you to visualize it regularly.
- Feeling more positive? Good! Now schedule time for these steps in your schedule and execute. No excuses – remember, you’ve identified the worst that can happen and you’ve figured out how to overcome/prevent that.
- Once you’ve taken action, avoid consuming too much by others — you don’t want comparison-itus at this point. Instead, celebrate your little wins. Didn’t go as planned? Congratulations… you’ve just worked out one thing that doesn’t work and you’re much closer to what does!
- Repeat frequently.
Ways to break out of your comfort zone:
There are so many ways to break out of your comfort zone. There’s no one-size-fits-all here and knowing what to do all comes down to your individual view of where you want to be. For some inspiration, have a read of my Huffington Post article, 10 Ways to Break Out of Your Comfort Zone. Here are also some ways that I’ve left my comfort zone as an entrepreneur:
- Presented ideas to luxury wedding planning clients
- Rebranded my business to target a completely different market
- Used Facebook Live as a way to connect with my fabulous community
- Launched a course for female entrepreneurs (that sold out!)
10 motivational quotes to help get you out of your comfort zone:
- A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there
- In any given moment, we have two options: to step forward into growth or step back into safety
- You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore
- Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone
- Feel the fear and do it anyway
- To make progress you have to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you
- The most dangerous thing you can do in life is to play it safe
- Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it
- If you want something you never had, you have to do something you’ve never done
So what are you going to work towards today that’s out of your comfort zone? I’d love to hear about what you’re challenging yourself to do in the comments below!
You might also like to read: 10 Easy Ways to Get More Confidence Right Now